Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Donghuamen Night Market - Beijing

While I'm on the subject of questionable food items, I think I'll start my narrative of Beijing with our trip to Donghuamen market. Here it is below.
Pretty much the only safe food at this market is candied fruit on a stick. By safe I mean Chinese safe. But then again, just because they make soy sauce from human hair, dip ham in pesticide to keep away flies and poison babies with melamine, that doesn't necessarily mean I shouldn't eat their street food, right?

Seriously though don't worry about the ham thing, the Jinhua ham factory "owns a foam of professional technical personals who have rich experience in the fields of ham processing." So you're good there.

Anyway, this fruit stuff, otherwise known as bing tang hulu, is usually translated to "candied haw in a stick", which as far as I know has no meaning in English. Basically, it is fruit dipped in sugar syrup...the sugar syrup hardens...you eat it...then you get a cavity.

Traditionally its made from hawthorn or crab apple, but for the tourists I think they try and pizzazz it up a bit by using kiwi.
Other items on offer included snake
Starfish, shark and sea urchin
Scorpion and silk worm larva
Seahorses, spiders and grubs
And other grossness.
I think I'll just stick with Egg McMuffins.
YES, I did eat a cold Egg McMuffin on the Great Wall and YES, it was delicious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these pictures are amazing. thank you.

Mike Honcho said...

Thanks for using a picture that makes it look like I have a crooked mongoloid head.

Olive said...

candied hawthorn!! mmmm. did you know that its also a chinese herb? shan zha - good for digestive problems. but i don't think that's the case after its coated in sugar, but its so good!