Friday, March 05, 2010

Christmas in Malaysia with all the Folks from Home

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...
Jack Frost delivering ice blocks by motor bike...

I'm not sure how to work this extremely deadly poisonous cave millipede into the song so I'm stopping this motif.
There were no country roads to take me home to the place I belonged this Christmas so the next obvious place to spend Christmas was Kuala Lumpur.  And since today is March 5 it seemed like the obvious time to start telling you about Christmas.

KL (as the jetsetters call it) is a city of about 1.6 million, approximately 1.0 million of whom are physically in a mall at any given time.
I've heard that the two seasons in KL are "hot and wet" and "hotter and wetter"...it was pretty hot and wet so I was scared to ask which one we were in. But, as I always say, when in doubt about how to cool down, eat bacon-shaped pork jerky.
Kuala Lumpur became a city in around 1850, when Malay Chief of the valley Klang hired some Chinese laborers to come to the region to open new and larger tin mines. I had never really thought about tin until now...so, living in Hong Kong and having the luxury of google (which the comrades may no longer have) I googled it up and found out that it is some sort of World of Warcraft thing...apparently if your character is a lower level check the levels to see what level mobs are found in each zone. Also, make sure your mining is at least 65 before you attempt to mine tin.  That's not the kind of tin I was talking about but apparently there are more World of Warcraft enthusiasts than tin miners who know how to use the interwebs so if you want to know something about tin mining you'll have to ask a tin miner yourself.

Bird cam:

Monorail cam:
Petronas Towers cam:
And now you know everything you need to know about Duffy's 28th Christmas except that I also went here which is a big cave thing with some Hindu statues in it.  And so did these guys.  At the same time as me.

No comments: