In addition to its interesting history, Penang is also known for two things I hold very near and dear to my heart: beaches,
and food.
There's not much to say about beaches, so let's go to food. Like Singapore, Penang is home to a number of hawker centers. What's a hawker center? Well, imagine if every one of the best take out Asian places in your city consolidated into one giant extravaganza of plastic tables and chairs, cut their prices in half, and became 50 times more delicious. That's a hawker center.
We also encountered other good food, such as at this mee udang (prawn noodles) place on some random country road. Looks good doesn’t it? Yeah, well hiding under those tasty-looking noodles are three terrifying giant prawns with their shells still on!?!?!?!?!!!!
and food.
There's not much to say about beaches, so let's go to food. Like Singapore, Penang is home to a number of hawker centers. What's a hawker center? Well, imagine if every one of the best take out Asian places in your city consolidated into one giant extravaganza of plastic tables and chairs, cut their prices in half, and became 50 times more delicious. That's a hawker center.
We also encountered other good food, such as at this mee udang (prawn noodles) place on some random country road. Looks good doesn’t it? Yeah, well hiding under those tasty-looking noodles are three terrifying giant prawns with their shells still on!?!?!?!?!!!!
Don’t worry though, I ate two of them, and lived to smile about it.
Of course, it didn't compare to my favorite food stall in Georgetown: Sup Hameed.
Beer or treated pipe water? Hmm…that’s a tough one.
Of course, it didn't compare to my favorite food stall in Georgetown: Sup Hameed.
I had trouble choosing between what would be my obvious first choice (fifth down, natch) and sup torpedo lembu. Given that I had a flight the next day I opted for something without torpedo in the name.
Beer or treated pipe water? Hmm…that’s a tough one.
While I’m on the topic of food, we also stopped by a tropical fruit farm where it, despite everyone assuring us it wasn’t rainy season, torrentially rained for our entire tour. It was one of the many moments in life where I was happy I don’t have to wear a burqa (like many of the other people on the tour/on vacay in Penang generally).
No comments:
Post a Comment