Singapore style chili crab, not to be confused with Hong Kong spicy crab, is prized for, among other things, deliciousness. Legend has it that Singapore chili crab was invented at a formerly tiny, otherwise unremarkable seafood restaurant near the current East Coast Seafood Center by someone's grandma. While I can't speak to the veracity of how it was invented I can verify this:
Singapore style chili crab is
EFFING DELICIOUS.
EFFING DELICIOUS.
In other words, if you are in Singapore, get thee to the East Coast Seafood Center, lah! It was my first time eating crab and it also appears to be the only thing I've done in the past 4 years that was not photo-documented.
Anyway, if you can't get to Singapore, you can always do the next best thing and head to No Signboard Crab to visit the Causeway Bay outpost of this OTHER formerly tiny, otherwise unremarkable hawker stall run by someone's grandma. Our office's Singapore client team, aka the Chili Crab Client Team (named by me) couldn't get approval for a trip to visit our namesake so we made due with the HK version.
We started with an appetizer of century eggs. Have I talked about these yet? I can't remember. But I include the picture because I know how much it freaks out Americans to see transparent blue eggs being served as a food. Kathleen and Mitch particularly love them a lot.
Then, we moved on to the infant, tiny, newborn, eight pound six ounce, in golden fleece diapers baby squid.In addition to chili crab, Singaporeans also love their pepper crab. We tried the white pepper variety.
The CLAW!!!!!And now for the main event!
You thought it would be chili crab didn't you? Wrong. It's the amazing fried bread you dip in the chili crab sauce. It's a good thing they only serve these things six at a time.
And lastly:
I was pretty impressed with the Hong Kong version, actually! Although, if you can get the fresh, piping hot, truly authentic version at an outdoor cafe overlooking the Singapore Straits, uh...duh, you should definitely do that instead.
Excuse me, was someone sitting here?
No comments:
Post a Comment