For those of you joining us from those countries where the l is pronounced in quesadilla (i.e. Australia), Seattle is in the far NW corner of the United States and borders America's hat (Canada). Seattle strikes me as a really ocean-y city.
Surprisingly, however, its port is only the 8th busiest in the US by container traffic measured in TEUs! Note that you would get a different result if you measured by cargo volume...this is actually a really controversial issue as there is no standardized way of measuring port traffic I learned while researching the relative size of the port of Singapore a few years ago (apparently, world's busiest port is claimed by Singapore, Rotterdam and Shanghai. Personally, I'm rooting for Singapore in that one).
Now that I've piqued your interest in this extremely fascinating topic, the top 7 busiest US ports are Los Angeles, Long Beach, New York/New Jersey (why does this count as one while LA and Long Beach count as two...), Savannah (?! I didn't even know Georgia touched the ocean) (#thingsyoushouldntfreelyadmit), Oakland, Houston and Hampton Roads (where is that?!) (Virginia).
ANYWAY...Seattle is cool.
Fish!
World's first place where charging $5 for one cup of coffee became normal Starbuck's.
Piroshky (highly recommend)My favorite food-related discovery about Seattle is the existence of a Seattle dog - served with cream cheese and grilled onions from outdoor food carts. Genius!
Not as genius.
Sisters!
Miss you guys!
No comments:
Post a Comment