Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vietnam

I'd hate to under-celebrate my birthday so as part of Duffyfest '09 I decided to take a trip to Saigon (n/k/a Ho Chi Minh City) in Vietnam.  One of the coolest things we [almost didn't but did] do was go and see Tay Ninh Holy See, which is the main [temple?] of a religion called Cao Dai in Tay Ninh, Vietnam.  Apparently the religion was founded (by God) in the 1920s, and its main tenets are a conglomeration of the main tenets of about every religion on Earth.   As a growing religion, they allow you to see the ceremony, which occurs everyday at 6 am, noon, 6 pm and midnight. The grounds of the place were amazing.  SO colorful and interesting with great gardens. 

Below:
One of the auxiliary temples on the grounds.

The ceremony.
Outside the main temple.  Heeeeyyy.
Inside the main temple. No shoes allowed.
My favorite thing about the religion: they only have three saints.  From left to right, Sun Yat-sen, Victor Hugo and Nguyen Binh Khiem.  That's right I said VICTOR HUGO.  Lurve it.

Gardens on the grounds.


1 comment:

Ryan Bowles said...

Yeah I went to this place. It was so awesome. My main memory is all the different uniforms that separated all the mere followers from those who were muckety-mucks. We should have more uniforms in our society.