Monday, September 14, 2009

Hong Kong night view and other very important things

Time for show and tell.

Above left with Xs/diamonds=Bank of China Building, next to that to the right is the old Bank of China Building (built before snazzy neon lights were invented) and to the right the HSBC Building. Apparently, the Bank of China building was designed by I.M. Pei to look like stalks of bamboo, but now the design is most famous for having extremely bad feng shui. I know it keeps me up at night.
Above, see the black building that says Lippo on the top? To the right of that one is a white building that looks rectangular in this photo. I work there. Anyway back to the Lippo Centre (I still don't understand this alleged spelling of Center), it used to be owned by an Aussie company (Bond Corporation - who went bankrupt) and so the blocks on the sides which you cannot see in this picture are meant to look like koalas climbing up a tree. Unfortunately these also look like ancient Chinese handcuffs and so the building also has very bad feng shui. This feng shui is obviously the reason why Bond and other tenants, including Peregrine Investments Holdings (formerly the largest investment bank in Asia outside of Japan), went bust...note that Peregrine's demise obviously had nothing to do with the fact that the Asian Financial Crisis demolished 90% of its investments or anything like that. Clearly.

Well now that I'm on this topic, I may as well talk about other interesting things about feng shui. Feng shui, which means “wind-water,” is a Chinese geomantic practice in which a site is chosen or a building configured in harmony with spiritual energy. My view: HongKongers do not screw around when it comes to feng shui.

Case in point: Nina Wang is a dead billionaire who, before she died, was the richest woman in Asia. She was the widow of chemical magnate Teddy Wang (of Chinachem fame). He was kidnapped in 1990 and never found again. Apparently poor Nina's nickname was Little Sweetie because she frequently wore pigtails and matching crazy outfits (reminiscent of a Chinese cartoon star of the same name). Despite her fashion challenges, she took over her husband's job upon his death and became an even more fabulously wealthy property developer. Go Nina. Anyway, after she kicked the bucket, this whack job named Tony Chan comes out of the woodwork and claims he's had an intimate relationship with Nina for 15 years and that he, not the Chinachem Charitable Foundation, is entitled to her fortune.

According to Nina - she employed him as feng shui master to help her find her husband (apparently paying him close to US$90 million before she croaked).

According to Tony, feng shui was just one of their many interests that they shared together as lovers, among other things such as playing with model helicopters and digging holes: "Digging holes became a husband-and-wife game I played with Nina..."


As part of the campaign to discredit Chan’s claim, Chinachem put on a Cantonese puppet show called “One Life One Love,” detailing the love affair between Nina and Teddy.

Basically, as these lovers' spats tend to, it has devolved into a a typical he-said-puppet-show-said story.

How did I turn a post where I was going to show a few nice pictures of the Hong Kong night skyline into a post about the Nina Wang trial? Unclear.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yours is quite possibly the most informative blog I've ever read.

Tom Lorenz said...

Feng-tastic nonsense, hilarious.