That means Happy New Year. Thought we were done with that, eh? Well not in China. Chinese New Year is a very special time in Hong Kong. Local Hong Kongers generally spend the holiday by celebrating with a number of elaborate traditions, most of which reinforce Chinese people's obsession with wealth, fortune, prosperity and good luck. Expats generally spend the holiday drinking Chang on a beach in Thailand. But to each his own right?
One of the most *FUN* parts of the holiday is going to the New Year's Flower Market - in my case in Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. I think you can tell from this picture just how much *FUN* I was having:
I have to say - I never understood how crowds of people could trample each other to death a la Walmart on Black Friday, but now I do. Once we got out of the mob (which was confined to the section of the market selling blow up plastic tigers and plush tiger claws) we headed over to the actual flower part which was actually nice. One of the most popular CNY decorations is plum blossoms - they symbolize good luck (or is it prosperity...or wealth...or good fortune?). It sort of reminds me of Christmas tree shopping. And probably if you pick the wrong one it is VERY inauspicious.
Then you also have to pick out some other lucky plants such as bamboo which symbolizes good health (or is it prosperity or good luck?) and nipple fruit which is auspicious for large family gatherings and chrysanthemums (for longevity) and kumquats (for prosperity) and mandarin oranges (for wealth and because they are delicious).
And now you are ready to decorate with all of your new CNY plants and welcome the accompanying hoard of fruit flies into your home!
For the record, I neither had a traditional Chinese celebration nor did I go to Thailand. Saturday night I went to a party, and then Monday night I threw a party on four hours' notice to watch the fireworks with all of the leftovers from that party.
Happy Year of the Tiger!
1 comment:
Apparently Latham found out how cool your blog was because almost all of the photos have now been blocked as "inappropriate and in violation of firm policy." Stop posting porn Duffy.
Post a Comment