Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Hand Cart Nation

Hong Kong.  One of the biggest, most cosmopolitan cities in the world.  World's sixth highest GDP per capita.  Home to the world's largest collection of skyscrapers (7,682).  Most Rolls Royces per capita. World pinnacle of fanciness.

You would think that all of our food, dried sea cucumbers (no I don't count that as food) and Louis Vuitton handbags get delivered by blue-tooth enabled robots on hoverboards.  Or UPS guys in rocket suits.  A segway at least?

But no.  EVERYTHING that you touch in Hong Kong has at one time been a passenger on one of these babies: 
A hand cart.  You cannot walk down the sidewalk without almost getting runover with one. Since most stores here are really small, they are in a constant state of re-stocking.  It really makes shopping interesting. As in dangerous to your appendages.

Well I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial on delivery of parcels in Hong Kong.  I know you're all hoping my life becomes interesting soon so that I have better subject matter than hand carts...Personally I hope not because I'm in the middle of watching Season 2 of Gossip Girl and it's really good.

No comments: