Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hong Kong Nice

I'm sure you've all heard about "Minnesota Nice".  We have the same concept in Hong Kong, but slightly different.  Here's a few examples from last week:


Me: I've been working late every night this week.
Assistant: So that's why your face looks like that.


Later on...


Assistant: You are a very typical American attorney.
Me: Why?
Assistant:  You are independent, you don't need any help and you are fearless.
Me: Oh. I guess that's good.  Thanks.
Assistant:   And you are also very moody. And hot-tempered. And direct.  But you're funny sometimes.
Me: Thanks?
Assistant:  You are the oldest in your family, right?

Me: Yes
Assistant: You seem like you are the youngest because you are very inconsiderate.
Me: [Unable to speak; silently staring at her in disbelief.] 



4 comments:

Lucy said...

I laughed and cried.

Duffy said...

That was my reaction as well.

Anonymous said...

Well, she got the hot tempered part right, ha ha.

Unknown said...

as someone who is both the youngest of the family AND inconsiderate, i'm flattered.