Here's a blast from the past circa September 2009 that was just sitting in my drafts pile. Kind of not that timely, but as Camboders was one of my favorite trips the whole time I've been here I think it's worth taking a blog down memory lane. Anyway, I hope you enjoy hearing how I spent the first half of the first day of my vacation 1.5 years ago.
As I understood it from our local guides, the only thing that has ever happened in Cambodia is that Angelina Jolie visited once to film Tomb Raider (at temple of Ta Prohm, below). Interestingly, if you do any reading on Cambodia, you would learn that in addition to Angelina Jolie visiting, Cambodia was also the home of one of the most powerful empires in Southeast Asia, was then invaded by the Thai and the Vietnamese and then the Thai and then the Vietnamese again, became a French protectorate, was occupied by the Japanese during WWII, then invaded by the U.S. and South Vietnamese during 'Nam, became the target of Nixon's secret bomb-the-shit-out-of-Cambodia campaign, following which it descended into a brutal civil war that culminated in the genocidal regime of the Khmer Rouge, during whose rule an estimated one to three million people died for various reasons including public execution, disease, land mines (of which there are still around 6 million lying around) and famine (stemming from Pol Pot's fantastic idea of converting the country into a peasant-dominated agrarian cooperative with no currency where everyone was forced to march out to the countryside to work for 12 to 15 hours a day on one bowl of rice), following which it was again invaded/liberated by the Vietnamese, who later withdrew and were replaced by a special UN task force that helped disarm and bring the country back out of the hellhole it had been living in since the first half of the 20th century. But anyway, I suppose none of that is really worth mentioning when there are so many restaurants and bars visited by Angelina that need to be pointed out.
I wonder if she was wearing that weird necklace with a vial of Billy Bob Thornton's blood in it when she visited?
Here is another temple called Banteay Kdei:
Not sure the name of this one:
Terrace of the Elephants:
2 comments:
very impressive 21-line sentence.
Yeah, I'm thinking of starting a line of pamphlets called "The history of [x country] in 21 sentences." Thoughts?
Post a Comment