Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Wan Chai Market


For a city obsessed with cleanliness, there sure are a lot of dead animal carcasses hanging around in Hong Kong. Although I expect to see suspended carrion of infinite variety in Beijing, I wanted to let Tom and Mary Lou get a head start on losing their appetite. So, we headed to none other than the Wan Chai Wet Market.

Below:
Wan Chai Wet Market (macro):
Wan Chai Wet Market (micro):
A note on America - just because we have aerosol cheese and go-gurt doesn't mean we know anything about convenience. At this store you can get BOTH mystery hoof and a fish. Did I hear you say booyah?
Gratuitous meat shot:
Call me old fashioned but I didn't know we were eating goat these days. For some reason I find this goat head gross and disturbing. The rest of the above was totally NOT gross at all though.
Even more gross and disturbing postnote: while researching whether Wan Chai was one word or two (its one, but I just prefer it as two) (just kidding), I also found out that the main Wan Chai Market building was occupied by the Japanese during WWII so that they could use the basement for storage of corpses.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

gross. can we please NOT go here when I visit? kthx. Oh, but if there is there a market filled with unicorns and kittens (not butchered), I'd like visit that market instead. thx.

Matt said...

Why am I sad that I can't enlarge the photo w/ the goat head?