We took a trip up to Mong Kok (a neighborhood on Kowloon) this weekend. In English, Mong Kok actually means "suffocatingly-busy-area-filled-with-loud-rude-people-unscrupulously-pushing-you-out-of-their-way". I'm sure you already knew that though from having watched the hit film
One Night in Mongkok (fate can bring us together - so can sin!) wherein a gangster's son is accidentally killed during a drunken dispute with a rival gang, prompting said gang (of the dead son) to hire a smart but inexperienced killer from a small town on the mainland to kill the rival gang leader, who accidentally gets sidetracked when he sees a thug threatening a prostitute at his hotel (who turns out to be a gold-digger named Dan Dan) who latches onto him because of his money, and tells him about the fact that the guy who hired him has already ratted him out to the cops and...crazy shenanigans ensue. The movie was actually very similar to our day out in Mong Kok, as you'll see from the pics.
Below:
Mong Kok streets scene, filled with mini-buses:

Below: me above crowded market street. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mong Kok has the highest population density in the world, "boasting" an average of 336,698 people per square mile and a development multiple of four.*

We tried to walk under these covered walkways to avoid
acid attacks:
Here, a stall at the goldfish market. Conveniently located next to 7-11 if you need to buy a Coke for your new goldfish.

Sidenote: Why does my head look freakishly small in the above picture?

Bird garden:

Lastly, the highlight of the trip, this mullet (which actually, is more like a mohawkullet...business up front, party in the back, punk rock on the sides):

*I don't know what a development multiple is.
1 comment:
I actually have been to Mong Kok, which is just weird and probably unnecessary. But then again, with a development multiple of 4, who isn't going to Mong Kok. I also just love the name. BTW, FYI and ICYW, a development multiple is basically a scientific term for procreation.
I'm also upset that your blog doesn't allow anonymous comments. I totally wanted to troll your blog.
Post a Comment