Thursday, October 01, 2009

Brushes with the formerly famous in Singapore

I've been very busy hanging out with semi washed-up famous people lately, which explains why I have little time for my blog.

Here I am, at the Backstreet Boys concert. I know what you're thinking. Duffy, going to a Backstreet Boys concert doesn't count as hanging out with washed-up famous people. I'll have you know, however, that the following morning I saw (and talked to) Brian Littrell and Nick Carter (the two blonde ones) in line at the Singapore airport Burger King (I was eating my Crossain'Wich) and they totally talked to us OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!
Here I am with a another semi-washed up famous person. No, its not Frankenstein's cousin. It is ex St. Kilda Aussie Rules Football (more on this later) player Fraser Gehrig. Unfortunately he's not exactly looking directly at the camera. I suspect he may have been blinded by my extremely shiny forehead and had to look away.
I did a bit of research on him to see if it was really cool to get this picture with him (I was informed by a dodgy Aussie that it would be like getting a picture with Dan Marino). Apparently he was a pretty good player...he did have a fake retirement so I'd go with Favre over Marino but I don't really know that he was that awesome (GO VIKES!) Anyway what I do know is that he had a pretty interesting off-field life. From Wikipedia:

"It was alleged that Gehrig urinated on a patron at a nightclub, although no formal accusations were made." (NB: Hello, 911? Someone just urinated on me a nightclub. Send help!)

There are a few more clutch incidents on his Wikipedia page but this is my favorite:

"In 2005 he was expelled from Thailand with a group of other footballers for undisclosed incidents. "

What kind of incident would you have to have do you think to get expelled from a country? Follow up question, why didn't he get sent to a sketchy Thai prison and left there to die like Claire Danes in that really crappy movie from 1999?

And lastly, here is a picture of me and Eden with a guy dressed (1) as a ye olde barrister (or something?), (2) in a short sleeved wet suit (or something?), (3) as an astronaut and (4) as a can of Guinness. Since its obvious how these are connected I don't need to go into it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have swine flu now, dude? Stop chatting it up with infected backstreet boys.