Monday, January 25, 2010

Reader Request (ரெடேர் ரெஃஉஎஸ்த்) (रेअदेर रेकुएस्ट)

This post is dedicated to my good friend and former life partner, Schwalter Cronkite. Below are some examples of தமிழ் (Tamil), which as I mentioned is the language predominantly spoken in Tamil Nadu (meaning country of the Tamils...so its NOT just a clever name). Its also an official language in Singapore and Sri Lanka, with significant populations of speakers in Canada, Malaysia, Mauritius and Reunion. Now there's a handful of countries with a lot in common (i.e., NOTHING, except the propensity of their citizens to speak Tamil). What is Reunion, you ask? Well its an overseas department of France located in the Indian Ocean east of Madagascar. What's an overseas department of France? Who cares. It's France.


Fun fact: The word "curry" is derived from the Tamil word "kari", which means sauce.
अनोठेर फूं फक्त: After going to India my computer now wants to know if I want to type my blog posts in Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil or Telugu. I'm hoping that next time I go abroad I come back with the ability to type in Wingdings.

No comments: